Monday, February 16, 2009

I am the Mighty Wind








Tonight I leave the open land
and sea, to howl as do the wolves
at a full and pallid moon,

in search of city dusk where concrete scars the
choking earth,
to lash offending streets and
punish calm.

Down thoroughfares of amber dereliction,
I'll snatch a branch from token tree to
litter asphalt straight with copper leaf.

No crag shall spare a soul my
angry breath, no alley shield humanity
from me. I whip around the curse
that progress built, detritus cast
to ground in temper's burst
and challenge those who dare
defy my power.

They lean into my strength
with tangled hair and tear-streaked
hope, defiance marks their step
in slow and weary march
but I prevail.

I rage and roar, I gust and
sometime twist to Odin's tune,
till mercy calms my dance
and stills my breath,

I calm for but a heartbeat,
a sleeping ocean needs my
waking blast,

I gather strength.

No comments: